FEMA Offers COVID-19 Funeral Assistance
11/30/2021 01:14 PM
FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred on or after January 20, 2020.
To be eligible for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance, the following conditions must be met:
- The death must have occurred in the United States
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses on or after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
- The death certificate must attribute the death to COVID-19. If the death occurred between January 20, 2020, and May 16, 2020, and the death certificate does not attribute the death to COVID-19, you may submit a signed statement from the medical official who certified the death certificate, or the local coroner or medical examiner, linking the cause of death to COVID-19.
Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Transportation to identify the deceased individual
- Transfer of remains
- A burial plot or cremation niche
- A marker or headstone
- Clergy or officiant services
- The use of funeral home equipment or staff
- Cremation or interment costs
Applicants will need to provide the following information to FEMA:
- Applicant's name, Social Security number, date of birth, mailing address, and contact phone numbers.
- Name, Social Security number, and date of birth for each deceased individual.
- Location or address where the individual died.
- Documentation and receipts for funeral assistance received from other sources, including burial or funeral insurance, donations, other government programs, or non-profit organizations.
- The name and information of up to one co-applicant, if anyone besides the main applicant incurred funeral expenses for the deceased individual(s).
How to apply for assistance:
- Call FEMA's COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Helpline at 1-844-684-6333 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time Monday-Friday to begin the application process.
- Submit your documents online through disasterassistance.gov; fax your documents to 855-261-3452; or mail documents to COVID-19 Funeral Assistance, P.O. Box 10001 Hyattsville, MD 20782.
For more information, go to FEMA.gov/funeral-assistance/faq, or click the flyer below.